We recognise that many of our churches state they are 'welcoming to all,' although many people from the LGBTQ+ community feel excluded and marginalised in our churches.
As an Association we recognise that one of the biggest challenges churches are responding to pastorally is the inclusion of the LGBTQ+ community.
In 2016 Baptists Together made a statement in response to The Marriage (same sex couples) Act 2013, which you can read by clicking here.
As an Association we take seriously our need to 'walk with each other in love,' and recognise the diverse views within our churches and Baptists Together. We re-affirm our ongoing support for all our churches. For a statement from the Association staff team and trustees about this, please click here.
We are not seeking to promote one theological view over another but simply encourage churches and ministers to explore this justice issue in an informed way. Therefore, below are some resources to help you as ministers and churches think through what it means to be 'welcoming to all' and address the issues of justice for the LGBTQ+ community.
Resources from Baptist Together:
The Baptist Union have a section on their website updating you on the advice and rules around Same Sex Marriage which also explain the discernment process they went through. This page also includes information on Ministerial Recognition Rules. Click here to visit the Baptist Together page on Human Sexuality.
This is a resource created by Baptists to help churches and ministers think through the experience of being an LGB person in our churches. This is resource has six components that can be used in small groups or stand alone sessions - it includes listening to stories and the experiences of church leaders, members of the LGB community. Click here to visit the Creating Sanctuary Website and download / view this free resource.
The Church of England has also produced a helpful resource - Living in Love and Faith.
Things to Read:
Below is list of books that are helpful for reading around the issues within LGBT+ Inclusion and impacts how we see God's Justice in this area: (these books come from different views and backgrounds)
- 4 Views of Pastoring LGBTQ Teenagers by Shelly Donaldson, Gemma Dunning, Nick Elio & Eric Woods
- A Letter to My Congregation: an evangelical pastors path to embracing people who are gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender into the company of Jesus by Ken Wilson
- A Life of Unlearning: a preachers struggle with his homosexuality, church and faith by Anthony Venn-Brown
- Amazing Love: theology for understanding discipleship, sexuality and mission by Andrew Davison
- Same Sex Relationships by John Stott
- Sexuality: the Inclusive Church Resource by Susannah Cornwall
- The Plausibility Problem; the church and same sex attraction by Ed Shaw
- Two Views on Homosexuality, the Bible and the Church by Preston Sprinkle
- Scripture, Ethics, and the Possibility of Same-Sex Relationships by Karen Keen